Drivers could be breaking the law by taking prescription drugs before getting behind the wheel.
Cops are allowed to prosecute people who have been prescribed certain medicines by their GP – if they pose a danger.
While illegal drugs such as heroin, cocaine and cannabis are obviously included in drug-driving laws, there are a string of far more innocuous remedies that could see you banned.
Most drugs are perfectly safe in themselves and it is perfectly legal to drive in most circumstances.
It only becomes a problem if the standard of driving is poor.
The gov.uk website says: “It’s illegal in England and Wales to drive with legal drugs in your body if it impairs your driving.
“It’s an offence to drive if you have over the specified limits of certain drugs in your blood and you haven’t been prescribed them.”
What drugs are most likely to cause problems?
Talk to your doctor about whether you should drive if you’ve been prescribed any of the following drugs:
- amphetamine, eg dexamphetamine or selegiline
- morphine or opiate and opioid-based drugs, eg codeine, tramadol or fentanyl
For more on this story, including the dangers please click here.
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3
Theory Test Pro – FREE!
Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.