Young motorists who drive below the speed limit could still be deemed ‘unsafe’ by insurers reviewing their black box data.
Some insurance companies offering telematics policies, which assess how a new driver behaves behind the wheel, are no longer using the speed limits on roads as a measure of risk for new drivers.
Instead, they are comparing a new licence holder’s speed against the average speeds of more experienced motorists to determine if they’re travelling too fast – mainly on ‘rural’ A and B roads.
That means someone who has recently passed their test could be judged to be driving dangerously quickly on a stretch of road even if they’re 15mph below the indicated limit, with the cost of their premiums increasing as a result.
Young motorists could be penalised by insurers for driving too fast even if they’re 15mph BELOW the speed limit
- Some telematics insurers no longer measure young drivers against limits
- Instead some compare it to the average speed of experienced motorists
- A database of 100,000 seasoned drivers has been created as a comparison
- It means new drivers staying under designated limits could see premiums rise
- Speed limit signs give new drivers a ‘false sense of security’, some claim
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3
Theory Test Pro – FREE!
Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.